Friday, May 9, 2008

S: what's the point of biographies, anyways?

I already know my heroes are human. If I chose to acknowledge that, I would. I don't need to be told in so many words.

I will never love Edna as much as Emily {dickinson}, but I do adore her. Perhaps adore isn't the right word?--adore brings to mind something that is 'cute', not a poetry that makes you feel fully alive, fully human. And that's what Edna St. Vincent Millay's poetry has begun to do for me. Even so, this biography is delicious, and it's most definitely the best purchase from the Davidson Library sale the other week, especially since it was free {G. bought it for me}. I may know Edna wasn't exactly the queen of humility, but this still stirs me every time I read it:

Like one gone mad I hugged the ground;
I raised my quivering arms on high;
I laughed and laughed into the sky,
Till at my throat a strangling sob
Caught fiercely and a great heart-throb
Sent instant tears into my eyes;
O God, I cried, no dark disguise
Can e'er hereafter hide from me
Thy radiant identity!

I'll always love Renascence best.

Happy Friday...and end of APs'. Or most of them, anyways.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love Savage Beauty, and Edna St. Vincent Millay - Interim is my favorite. Ah, she's amazing.